Traduce a Espanol!

Sunday, August 24, 2014

A prayer for my children before school starts...

I realize this isn't their first day of school...they are going into first and second grade.  So yes, I have done this before. But that doesn't make it easier.  It won't be easy next year, or the next, or when they graduate...or get married.  This is for every parent that's having to let go.  It's hard, as a parent, to express how you feel when sending your kids off to school or on a new adventure. I tried to express it in a prayer...God bless you and your children during this transition.






Heavenly God,

Reluctantly I leave my children with you, in your care. I trust you with all that I am, but I have watched over them with you, night and day from the moment they were born.  We' ve heard every cry, wiped every tear, I’ve changed diapers, potty trained, watched the first step, heard the first word…
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  (Deuteronomy 11:19)
You have been with us and our children through every experience they have had – the good and the bad.  I saw them ride their first ride, I’ve seen them lose their first pet.  Everything they have experienced I have had the privilege to witness.  I thank you God.  I thank you from my innermost being because it is something I will hold on to forever.  The memories will always be with me when they graduate, get married and have their own children. 





Now summer is over.  We have built more memories, gone on trips, seen new things and watched their little faces light up when seeing their first fireworks.  We’ve heard the laughter when staying up late goofing around.  We have had wonderful conversations about life, moving, leaving the old and embracing the new.  We’ve talked about You, God.  We’ve questioned, we’ve answered, we’ve discussed and we’ve pondered Your awesomeness.  Thank you for our experiences and for giving us the chance to go through all of them together. 




 

“Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."  Isaiah 43:18-19




So tomorrow we let go.  I will no longer know what they are experiencing as they go about their day – meeting new friends, learning new things, shedding tears and sharing giggles.  I will only get the stories afterwards about what happened at PE or what someone said in math or what someone did in the library.  For the first time I no longer get to share in the experience with them…I only get to hear about it from them.  


It is difficult Lord to let go…but we know you are near.  We know that we can’t go with them everywhere, but You can.  You will get to share every experience with them as they grow.  I pray that You help them understand that you are indeed always with them.  If they get bullied, if they forget their homework, if they get hurt, when they mess up or get frustrated…be with them.  Hold them close in your arms just as I would.  If they get 100 on a test, get first place in a contest, meet a new friend, help someone who is upset or hurt…pat them on the back.  Give them a high five and a hug just like I would. 


Isaiah 41:10


So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Letting go always comes – daycare, preschool, kindergarten, high school, college, marriage.  It will come whether we are ready or not.  Help us through each transition.  Help us enjoy the moment and not dwell on what’s to come or the memories that have gone by.  Help us prepare our children just as you prepared us.  Help us to let go gently and gracefully and guide our children on their new walk.  
Protect them from danger, from people who mean harm, from children who bully because they have been bullied.  Give them the drive and focus to learn…give them the desire to grow intellectually, spiritually and emotionally.  Help them be Your light to others – their friends, classmates and teachers.  Give them compassion to help the new child in class, the hurting and the children who have been wonderfully made different.  Help them to never participate in jokes that hurt others and stick up for those being hurt.  Bless the teachers – that they not only teach, but love our children.  That they show our children how to learn and live in community. 

Thank you God for our blessings.  Thank you for our opportunities.  Thank you for our challenges.  We embrace them with our whole hearts no matter how difficult they may be.  You are our Rock and Redeemer, the Alpha and Omega, beginning and end.  Bless our children as they leave our arms and enter Yours alone…
Amen

He took a little child whom he placed among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.”  (Mark 9:36–37)

No comments:

Post a Comment